The Realities of Burnout
by Brooklyn Brown (Grad 2023)
WHAT IS BURNOUT?
Burnout is a slow depletion of both mental and physical resources. Burnout happens SLOWLY which makes us think that *WE* have changed instead of realizing that we are sick.
BURNOUT is often mistaken for DEPRESSION
Burnout is feeling overwhelmed and exhausted for everything you must do and yet, STILL worried and stressed that you are not doing enough.
Sometimes we just get stuck. Stuck because we can’t find our way through the most difficult feelings – rage, grief, despair, helplessness, and that’s OKAY! We don’t need to have everything figured out right now.
The most important thing is YOU. Your physical health and your mental health, if YOU aren’t okay then nothing else really matters.
SYMPTOMS OF BURNOUT:
- - Procrastination
- - Chronic fatigue
- - Chronic lateness
- - Loss of imagination for the future
- - Reduced happy moments
- - Lack of interest
- - Feeling empty
- - Feeling as if you are drowning in responsibilities
- - Taking regular breaks & time for yourself
- - Keeping a healthy & balanced diet
- - Getting lots of rest
- - Spending time outside & in nature
- - Practicing self-care & mindfulness
- - Connecting with others & getting the support you need
Always remember that YOU matter, and YOU and your health come first. We are not meant to do hard things alone. We are here for you no matter what.